Sunday, October 10, 2010

Would children become healthier, smarter and more independent if they grew up with no televison?

                        When I was growing up my parents had a hell of a time getting me to stay inside. I was always outside from the moment I woke up until I absolutely had to come in. I loved playing outside and till this day I still love being outside! I think what got me started on the whole, play outside ordeal was when I was growing up during the summer my parents would tell me and my sister to go play outside, sitting inside playing videogames was never an option. We became to absolutely love it and then they had to start telling us when to come back in. Playing outside really spruces up your imagination; one of the things that stick out right now, is climbing a huge pine tree and pretending it was a secret hide out. A few of the neighborhood kids and I even had fire evacuation plans. If the tree were ever to catch on fire we would simply slide down its branches.  I think that parents should make their kids play outside more often. When kids stay inside all day and play videogames and have no physical activity they learn to become lazy. They start to believe it is okay to sit around and do nothing all day, and it’s really not okay. I think that playing videogames is not a terrible thing to do, as long as you don’t abuse it. I prefer playing outside way more than being stuck in the house. Playing outside brings a whole nether level to your imagination; and you can do anything you want.  Also playing outside could make for a healthier life style, because you are exercising. At least when I think back to when I was a kid I know I was; running around the yard all day long. It is just an overall better experience of life, if you life a healthy lifestyle and don’t waste your life away sitting in front of the television all day long.

3 comments:

  1. I both agree and disagree. I think that watching television can become a problem if that is all a child does. If a child is watching TV though that has education in it, like Dora the Explora and so on, I don't think TV is so bad. If that is all they are doing and getting no exercise outside or anything though, then it would be a bad thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. if we had more active kids like you were as a child, we probably would not have such an obesity problem with our youth. our lifestyles are too sedentary because we can fill our time with tv, computers, ipods, cellphones, youtube, facebook, etc. unplugging the tv is start, but there are many other electronic devices that need to be shut down as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely agree with you and I was the exact same way. I love being outside.

    ReplyDelete