Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Henri de Toulouse-Lautrec rhetorical situations

          It seems as if most of Henri de Toulouse-Lautrec’s paintings show male figures being dominant over women. In the picture below a man and woman are engaged in sexual intercourse, and the male figure is on top of the woman, showing his dominance. I think the purpose of this painting is to show, no matter what time era it is, woman always seem to be the vulnerable figure. Men have always been seen as the protector and very masculine where women are usually shown as being very feminine and reliant on men. The attended audience, for this particular painting would be a more mature audience. I think that the audience age would possibly start at high school seniors. The only reason I say this is because I kind of feel like anyone younger than that may not be able to analyze this painting for everything that it is. I am unsure what the genre would be, I don’t know if the genre is a painting or if it would be a painting on the internet. The painting could have been originally featured in another form such as in a magazine article, or something.  So I am not really positive what I would say this particular genre is. I would say the author’s stance on this painting, would possibly be that he agrees with the dominant role that men play. The woman has her arms wrapped around the man, and is below him. The man is just on top of her, and not wrapping his arms around her. Instead his arms are bent; keeping him from getting to close. The background color is red, so that kind of sets the mood in the painting. The media and design is print, because it is a painting

No comments:

Post a Comment